Okay, I admit it. Even though I am a food writer/blogger and have a cookbook coming out soon, I don’t make all of Maverick’s baby food. I really feel like I should because buying the organic jars/pouches is pretty expensive, especially since I have a big eater on my hands. The bottom line is being home 3 days a week with him and trying to work in between naps, on top of making sure the house doesn’t look like a bomb went off is about all I can handle most days. However, I had some time this week, and I decided to dedicate a couple of hours to making some baby food for him, using some fun and unique flavors. So, if you’re a stay at home mom and don’t make your baby’s food, don’t feel bad, my job revolves around cooking and creating recipes, and I don’t even do it all of the time! I’m working on not feeling guilty about this…
Anyway, if you can carve out a couple of hours one day, I do think it is worth the time if you are trying to feed your baby organic, pure food. It’s much more affordable to make your own, plus it’s kind of fun and rewarding to create something for your baby and watch them explore new flavors. Which brings me to the three new recipes I made for my little man this week. I decided to add in a few spices and even herbs to these purees, but they are totally optional. Since I cook so many different things, I am eager to expose him to new flavors now, so (hopefully) he’ll be open to trying more foods as he grows. For now, Maverick is just really into all baby food, and so far we have not found anything he doesn’t like or has had a bad reaction to. Which is really not surprising at all, since his dad is the least picky eater on the planet. Yay for me!
Here is a little video of Maverick trying the “Bunny Bait,” a little unsure at first, but he ended up loving it!
Even though it may take a little extra time, baby food really is easy to make, and you certainly don’t have to be a great cook to pull this off.
Here are the items you will need to make your own baby food…
Steamer Basket – I actually just bought one at Kroger when I was grocery shopping for about 8 bucks.
Food Processor – Grab one at your next Target outing, a must in the kitchen in my opinion!
Ice Cube Trays (about 4) – This is an easy way to store the food in the freezer.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or expert in what to feed your baby, so be sure to consult your pediatrician before trying any of these recipes and feeding them to your child.
makes about 24 cubes
Ingredients ( organic ingredients are best)
- 2 1/2-3 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- water as needed
- Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water bring it to a boil. Place the steamer basket into the pot and fill it with the zucchini and garlic. Place the lid on the pot and steam for 10-15 minutes until the zucchini is very tender.
- Repeat this process with the carrots, but steam them for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Add the veggies to the food processor and puree them. Add a couple tablespoons of are at a time until the puree has reached the consistency you prefer for your baby.
Note: The zucchini already has quite a bit of water in it, so you may not need much water for this recipe.
Minty Peas, Please!
makes 24 about cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 10 ounce bag frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water bring it to a boil. Place the steamer basket into the pot and fill it with the peas. Place the lid on the pot and steam for 7-8 minutes until the peas are very tender.
- Add the steamed peas, brown rice, mint, and 1/2 cup of water to the processor.
- Puree this as much as possible, adding more water as needed. This will probably have a little more texture to it than the other recipes, so again be sure to consult your pediatrician and use your own discretion.
Spiced Apples and Sweet Taters
makes about 24 cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Bake the potatoes for 45 min to an hour until very tender when pricked with a fork. Once the potatoes have baked, allow them to cook completely and then peel them.
- Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water bring it to a boil. Place the steamer basket into the pot and fill it with the apples. Place the lid on the pot and steam for 12-15 minutes until the apples are very tender.
- Place the cooked potatoes, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water into the processor and puree.
What to look for in remedies online? Remedies like Deltasone usually is used to solve conditions such as breathing problems. Prednisone is a white to almost white powder. Kamagra is for the treatment of inability to get or keep an erection and similar states connected to erectile dysfunction. If you’re concerned about sexual problem, you have to talk to your physician about http://journal-info.net/buy/generic-levitra.html and buy generic levitra. What is the most essential information you have to view about kamagra? (Read more buy vardenafil). Betweentimes folk need medications to determination sexual heartiness problem. Having erectile disfunction can certainly complicate dating. Some medicines may interact with this physic, including over-the-counter herbal products. Not all probable interactions are listed in rate medication guide. Don’t forget, the best way to avoid forged medications is to get formula drugs like Kamagra from a reliable online service with which you are familiar.