What better way to celebrate the 4th of July than with homemade ice cream?! I come from a long line of ice cream lovers, and homemade ice cream during summertime celebrations has always been a staple in our family. My grandparents use one of those old fashioned ice cream makers that makes a whole bunch of the good stuff, but to keep it simple, I use my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker at home. It’s super easy to use, and the possibilities are endless when you start thinking up new flavors.
In my cookbook (The Outdoor Table), I have two delicious ice cream recipes that are made the old fashioned way, with an egg yolk custard base and all. However, I know many of us are looking for something a little quicker than that, so this ice cream recipe just uses good old heavy whipping cream to make it lusciously creamy. Is it low fat? …Um no! BUT, remember this is a special treat, and wouldn’t you rather have a small bowl of the real thing than a bigger bowl of a not so creamy, low fat alternative (probably ends up being about the same in calories when you get a larger portion anyway).
Plus, this ice cream is made with real ingredients, completely from scratch, which makes me feel better about any dessert I’m eating. The kicker in this one is the buttermilk, it gives the ice cream a slight tang that cuts some of the richness. It’s the perfect complement to the quick strawberry jam that gets swirled in at the end of churning. If you haven’t made homemade ice cream yet, give it a try, you simply can’t beat it!
TIP: The possibilities are endless when it comes to baking with buttermilk! Use the leftover buttermilk from this recipe for biscuits, pancakes, cornbread, cakes, or maybe even my Strawberry Upside Down Cake!
Strawberry Swirled Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place the heavy cream, buttermilk, 3/4 cup sugar, and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat, stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. Chill the mixture completely in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place the strawberries, lemon juice, 3 tbls sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Use a potato masher, (or the back of a fork) to mash the berries slightly and mix the ingredients together.
- Bring this to a boil and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Once the cream mixture has chilled, pour it into a 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker and churn according to package directions. Usually for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the ice cream has churned, layer it with the strawberry mixture into a resealable container. Then use a knife or skewer to swirl the two together. Place in the freezer for 4 hours.
What to look for in remedies online? Remedies like Deltasone usually is used to solve conditions such as breathing problems. Prednisone is a white to almost white powder. Kamagra is for the treatment of inability to get or keep an erection and similar states coupled to erectile malfunction. If you’re concerned about sexual problem, you have to talk to your physician about http://journal-info.net/buy/generic-levitra.html and buy generic levitra. What is the most vital information you have to consider about kamagra? (Read more buy vardenafil). Betweentimes folk need medications to resolve sexual health problem. Having erectile disfunction can certainly complicate dating. Some medicines may interact with this medicine, including over-the-counter herbal products. Not all probable interactions are listed in standard therapy guide. Don’t forget, the best way to avoid forged medications is to get prescription drugs like Kamagra from a reliable online service with which you are familiar.